I love this recipe because it makes use of all of the broccoli. It's also a hearty soup that I love on cooler days.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 8 cups fresh broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock, homemade or low sodium
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Rubarama Original No. 4
In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil, add in the onion and gently stir until translucent. Stir in garlic and cook for one minute. Add broccoli and thoroughly mix with onion and garlic. Pour in the stock and Rubarama. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 35 minutes. Uncover, remove from heat, and blend to desired consistency using an immersion blender or potato masher.
Place back on low heat, add in the cream and cheddar cheese, stirring well. Heat for an additional 3 minutes on low heat, stirring often. Serve warm.
Tip: When using broccoli in other recipes, if you use only the broccoli florets, be sure to save the broccoli stalks because you can add them to this recipe or use them to make a wonderful vegetable stock. They freeze well.