We call this "The Chili" because it's the chili that has converted more than a few non-chili eaters. There are a lot of ingredients in this, it makes a lot, and keeps really well.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces ground beef (80/20)
- 16-24 ounces ground turkey (90/10)
- 16-24 ounces country style pork loin ribs, cubed
- 1 medium onion (Yellow, Spanish, or Vidalia), finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium mild peppers (Cubanelle or Banana), finely chopped
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 16 ounces red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 16 ounces dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup Rubarama
In a heavy sauce pan, warm olive oil over high heat. Brown meats for 10-15 minutes. Add in onion and shallot and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in peppers and cook for another 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to low. Add in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, bay leaves, and Rubarama. Mix thoroughly and cover. Let simmer for an hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
Serve with diced raw onion and shredded cheddar cheese.
Makes about 12-16 servings.